Sunday, December 7, 2014

Talkin about a fish out of water.  I have about as much business writing a blog as Michael Jordan does of successfully trying to play Major League Baseball. Trust me.....I know how that one turned out and it wasn't pretty. This blog endeavor may very well turn out even worse than a really tall guy trying to play baseball for the Birmingham Barons.  But, being somewhat of a risk taker, I figure the worst I can do is take 3 good cuts and then go back to the bench. So, I guess you can consider this effort as me taking my first cut at a blog fastball.....

I hope that some of these musings may be just decent enough for you to take time to read even though most may be at best a pitiful swing and a whiff. I'm not sure how this thing is gonna go but a few folks have encouraged me to write a blog, so if it absolutely stinks, then I will send you a list of those who suggested that I do it and you can send them all the hate mail you want. In fact, before this is over I may just send them a few ugly lines myself.

Sometimes I intend to just write a few lines and before you know it I'm working on a reincarnation of "Moby Dick". The thoughts flood my head quicker than I am able to type them. I'm sure there have been times in the past, and I have no doubt there will be times in the future, where you will ask yourself, "Is this goof ball ever going to land this plane and get to the point?".  It's absolutely ok for you to think that (you probably are right now) and many times I'm even telling myself to shut-up but just can't seem to get the message across to me. That's the beauty of that little red ball or "X" at the top left of your computer screen. You can just shut me up any time you want to. Angie has unsuccessfully looked for those buttons for going on 25 years now ..... bless her heart.

The life of our family has recently taken a couple of drastic turns. On November 5 of this year our daughter Kaylee gave birth to her daughter and our first grandchild, Ava Rose. Yes indeed she is perfect in every way possible and for those of you with little boys around her age, I'm sorry, no you can't fix them up, she has already decided she's gonna go live in a Convent when she turns 18. The other turn in our lives took place on the last Sunday of the same exact month. After 9 wonderful years as pulpit minister of the Fairfield church of Christ in Centerville, TN.,  I preached my final sermon on November 30, tearfully said good-bye to some of the best people on the face of this earth, and pulled out of the parking lot for the last time as the fella who got to sit in the office next to Ms Carolyn.  One life altering event in a month is difficult in and of itself. Throw another life altering event on top of that and your gonna have a 24-hour period where a grown man (me) cries his eyes out all day long while trying to accept the plan that God has seemingly laid out. You know what they say, "Be very careful what you pray for"..... sometimes God will take you up on it.

I have lots and lots of stuff that I want to talk about. Hopefully I will be able to make time to regularly write a thing or two. Sometimes it may be just a few lines and other times you may need to make sure you have a extra tall glass of sweet tea beside of you to sip on for a good long while as you read my ramblings. And in case you didn't know, that #23 guy playing baseball didn't work out so well, but, I have a Chicago Bulls tattoo on my right arm so, yea, I'm sorta stuck with him til dirt is thrown on my box. Sorta like Angie with me ..... bless her heart :)


4 comments:

  1. Tears... Be proud, you did GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job my brother! So very proud of you!! Keep on keeping on. Praise him Devin, for what you see & what you don't see, even when you don't know or understand, God does & his plan can't fail. Keep trusting him & praise him thru your journey. He's got your back & so do I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading future posts snd watching how you progress! Like this one, I think you will do very well. Keep on typing!

    ReplyDelete